Location: Rakoran Forests west of Rilan
Date: Dalan the 4th, 1335 Avard
* Team continued along high road towards Lok Durass in chilly rains
* A split on the road was unmarked on the map, going up out of the valley
* The elven word for 'forest' was written in dwarven runes, indicating where the road went
* They found a dwarven 'guard shack' with an illusion of a ghost written in ancient arcane magics
* Chimes thought the single-door entrance was Lok Durass' entrance
* Inside they found well-reserved ruins for perhaps a dozen dwarves
* They were attacked by a ghost similar to the illusion before the first door was fully open
* The ghost frightened Cleo the gryphon off, and aged her poorly
* After they defeated the first ghost, they went in more cautiously
* In the small kitchen, Chimes found a conch shell prepped for music
* Hiko blew quietly on the conch shell, but they heard an answer
* They were attacked by ghosts, as were the mounts left in the foyer
* Some of the ghosts could siphon magic, absorbing it, growing stronger
* After a rough-and-tumble battle, they defeated all of the ghosts save one – a magic eater
* They fled before the magic-eating ghost could free itself from banishment
DM's Notes: Caileb's starting to feel like I hate him – antimagic zones, magic-eating ghosts, and then I neglected to inform him (despite a high knowledge roll by Chimes) that ghosts were immune to cold damage – and he blew a 4th level ice storm on a pack of the ghosts. Caileb muttered, “This is bullshit!” After how I treated Hiko's use of illusions in the ice dragon encounters, I know he feels frustrated. I just hope he can hang in there for the rewards.
This episode also saw the party wishing they had a full cleric with them – for a moment. All of them can do magical damage: Chimes' bow does ungodly damage, Toox' fists and feet count as 'magical' attacks', Roland's sword does some serious smiting damage, and Hiko himself can do quite a bit of magical damage, too. They're going to see more ghosts, and more illusions, and more… other things, as they get closer and closer to Lok Durass.
None to date.